FACTORY GIRL’ S VEGAN RICE
This stovetop Rice Pilav with orzo is a fine and easy side or main dish that goes with just about any vegan & vegetarian meals. With only a handful of ingredients, plus your imagination you can make this FACTORY GIRL style Pilav at home!
Remember to also try with cranberries, nuts, mushroom, spinach etc. You can create a sweeter version for lunch. With this recipe you have a wide open space to go wild for your healthy diet. This twisted style of Turkish pilav includes orzo, which is a small pasta shaped like a large grain of rice. When it’s well toasted in a vegan butter, it adds a wonderful nuttiness to the pilav.
HOW TO RINSE RICE
Place the rice in a bowl and cover with hot water and add a good amount of salt. Use your hand to turn the rice over in the bowl, be gentle as you don’t want to break the grains. Let it sit about an hour and carefully drain the water away and wash the rice with cold water. Repeat this process twice more. Once you have rinsed the rice, use a fine-mesh sieve to drain the rice. To ensure you have washed away as much starch as possible, place the sieve under the flow of running water for 10-15 seconds. Leave the rice to drain dry.
WHAT TO DO
- Really brown the orzo, it wants to be a deep dark golden brown; you want to cook it for at least 4 minutes.
- Use a long grain white rice for this recipe, that way, the broth volumes will give you perfectly cooked rice.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly to ensure the finished pilav will be fluffier. (see below for rinsing tips)
- If you can use fresh lemon juice, it adds a fantastic zing to the finished pilav.
- 100 g Basmati rice
- 50 g vegetable broth
- 50 g hot boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 big tbsp vegan butter
- 25 g orzo
- 50 g cooked chickpeas
- 50 g cooked green lentils
- 1 garlic clove
- One stick of chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- A pinch of dried or chopped fresh mint
- Chopped parsley
- A pinch of lime and orange zest
- A big pinch of Turkish all spice
HOW TO DO
Place a large skillet (one with a lid) or shallow pan (again with a lid) over medium heat. Add your olive and sunflower oil and orzo. When the orzo turns brown add your vegan or plant based butter then chickpeas + lentil, garlic, spring onions, salt, sugar, all spice- stir and add the hot broth + hot water. Stir gently, cover, reduce the heat to very low. About 10 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff w/ a fork add the parsley, mint stir gently add black pepper, don’t lift the lid, cover your pan with a big cloth wait another 5 to 10 minutes. Add more salt if necessary.